Jun 30, 2009

Making iPhone Images

I like the spontaneity of shooting with the iPhone. It's a very mediocre camera at best. But you can make interesting images with it. Usually, you can make an interesting image without moving more than 10 or 20 feet.

I shoot images with my iPhone every day. Plenty of them are throwaway, often because of limitations of the camera, lens, and sensor (but never, EVER due to any limitations of the photographer, let's be clear about that!).

Making this a habit helps train my eye to be alert for visual interest, not just when I'm carrying my DSLR or wish I had a camera with me. (The old saying: the best camera is the one you have with you.)

Here's something cool: Chase Jarvis is a well-known photographer who's always shooting stuff with his iPhone. He upgraded to the 3GS and offered his 3G iPhone to the winning "send me your iPhone photos" contestant. Some 3500 images later, here are 100 wonderful iPhone images from the cream of the crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment