Jul 21, 2009

Worldwide Photowalk - Madison

Here are a few of my photographs from Scott Kelby's Worldwide Photowalk on Saturday in Madison Wisconsin. I'll post a bigger selection on Flickr soon. More observations below.

Madison Museum of Contemporary Art


My precioussss

Great music! (handheld, 1/2 second,
Martin sneaking up on the bass player)




"Talk to the hand."
This is in the running for my favorite.

So this was my first-ever photowalk. I've heard about photowalks and I've been partly intrigued and partly disinterested. The idea of walking en masse down a street with 50 photographers is not something I'm naturally drawn to.

Much of my photography is a solo venture, a lot of internal thought and instinct during my creative process, not very much of a community venture. So this was a stretch out of my comfort zone, and that's probably the main reason I participated. I was also curious about the experience, and don't like looking back at missed opportunities wishing I'd tried something.

I'm glad I did it - it was an engaging creative challenge to shoot around 450 images in two hours and end up with 50-60 that (to me) are interesting little moments and glimpses into downtown Madison and State Street. And I met some photographers, made some friends, and gained a couple new ideas for subject matter.

We had the whole gamut of photographers, from some working professionals to some point-and-shoot hobbyists. It was wonderful to see in virtually every direction someone framing and composing a little part of downtown Madison in their camera. If I could clone myself I'd spend the whole time just documenting the photographers and their encounters with people.

Moral of the story? Try anything at least once, and if it's as enjoyable and interesting as this was, plan on doing it again. I have some ideas for next year's photowalk if it works out for me to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment